Amateur Radio Test Sessions are usually held at 9 am in the conference room of the Gallatin County Search & Rescue Building at the Gallatin County Fairgrounds at 219 E. Tamarack Street, Bozeman.
The SAR building is located in the southeast most part of the grounds, and you’ll know you’re there when you see the two antenna towers and the big beam. Park on the north or west side of the building or where you see other cars lined up. Enter through the man-door on the north side of the building, between the two towers and next to the generator.
Testing is held the first Saturday AFTER the first Thursday during the following months: March, June, September, and December. This schedule may be revised. Special test dates may be posted in addition to those currently listed. Please check back on this site for further information. Contact us for more info! Walk-ins are OK – but it’s always nice to drop us an email and let us know you’re coming!
Please check back on this site the night before an exam, in case there is any last minute change of test location. Occasionally the SAR conference room may be needed by Search & Rescue, in which case we will post a new location here.
|March 4||March 3||March 9|
|June 3||June 9||June 8|
|*June 24||*June 23||*June 29|
|September 9||September 8||September 7|
|December 9||December 8||December 7|
|*Possible special test session at the Field Day site! Check with us by email to be sure the Field Day session is a go!|
What to bring to the test session
- $14.00 cash or check made payable to GHRC-VE.
- Two forms of ID, one with a picture (like a Drivers License).
Technician exam candidates bring:
- Your Social Security Number or your FCC Registration Number (FRN). If you do not want to use your Social Security Number on the exam form, you can receive your FRN immediately by applying for it on the FCC Registration Web Page.
General or Extra exam candidates bring:
- A photocopy of your existing signed license showing FRN number. Your FRN is used in place of your SSN on the FCC form. The photocopy is attached to your FCC form.
All candidates bring:
- Optionally bring a calculator, but be sure any programming is cleared.
Note: The FCC 605 form is to be filled out with ink. Also, it asks for your name to be printed and signed. Be sure you sign it in the same manner as you printed it. For example suppose you printed your name as “Babcock Ray S” then you would sign “Ray S. Babcock”. If you signed only “Ray Babcock”, they will reject your application!!